WELCOME … “Wild West Country” is a treasure-trove of adventure and intrigue nestled in Southwest Kansas. Bound by shared culture and history, this 22 county area is part of the historic prairie expanse of the Great High Plains. *Wild West Country is a branded trade-name for the Kansas Southwest Travel & Tourism Region.
EXPLORE … Our landscape diverges from rugged range to rolling hills to flat-out farmland. Small town hospitality with wide open spaces exemplifies Americana at its best. With front row seats to the celestial milky-way and an abundance of sunny clear weather, we are prime for the adventurous!
EXPERIENCE … There’s just something about heading down the road looking for your next escapade. The intrigue of what you might find … new people … new places … mix well with a good dose of spontaneity and see what happens!
LOOK … for these in Lane County, the cities of Dighton and Healy!
- The first Renewable Energy Biomass Plant in Kansas
- Efforts for merging high technology, bioscience & agriculture
- Vintage architecture & modern streetscapes
- Electronic message boards & wireless connects
- Retail shopping wares & customized mechandising goods
- A variety of celebrations that eminate as a labor of love
- Historical re-enactments & depictions of infamous figures
- Jeep crawls that twist the joints of seasoned 4 X 4 drivers
- Bank fish’ng for blue catfish or skim the top for black crappie
- Guide hunting for white-tail or mulies, prong-horn & ringnecks
- Trail rides & 4-wheeler safaries across native rangeland
- Car shows with muscle cars, motorcycles & antique tractors
- Poker runs for charitable causes & coast-to-coast bicycle trekkers
- Bluegrass festivals & rock-n-roll parties
- Fine-arts display gallery & works studio
- Mineral and fossil hunting with unique geological formations
- Indian encampments and frontier trail crossings … the list goes on!
SHARE THE FUN … bring your family & friends … ExploreLane County!
~ Wild West Country … we call it home, others call it FANTASTIC! ~
City of Dighton & City of Healy
Lane County, the cities of Dighton and Healy are striving to build growth oriented communities that are equally well-rounded, vital, and prosperous. Efforts are focusing on upgrading infrastructure, promoting reinvestment, and fostering economic diversity.
Organized in 1886, Lane County was populated as part of the post-civil war expansion into the west. Folk-tales and other local stories indicate a history rich in excitement and success. That orientation continues today with modernization efforts taking place across all facets of the community fabric.
The counties of Wild West Country do share a common culture and history, with each having its own story that is inter-woven with the chronicals of others. Lane County has a unique blend of regional history, community folklore, geological formations, ecological phenomena, and neighborhood happenings noteworthy of exploration.
Keep in mind the notion of agricultural, ecological, and experienced based tourism are starting to take shape in Lane County and will key on providing fun filled opportunities for both spectators or participants.
Bringing the story of “who we are” to others is a labor of love filled with vestiges of intrigue and wonderment for the curious.
VIVA … la’ Wild West Country!
May – Dighton Pool Opens
June – Lane County Country Bluegrass Festival
June – Cat Backers Golf Tourney
June – Community Wide Garage Sale
July – Backyard Bash Concert & Lane County Cruise-In
July – Lane County Free Fair & Carnival
August – Buffalo Bash
October – Halloween Custume Parade & Money Dig
October – Pumpkin Patch Day at the Hanks Farm
November – Somethingthing Special Shopping Extravaganza
November – Downhome Country Christmas
- Cathouse Recreation Facility
- Grain Bin House (grain bin made into a scale house)
- Trail End, Filming Sites for this Award Winning Short-Film
- Old Bank Gallery
- Lane County Historical Museum
- Lane County Courthouse, Art Novo Architecture & Courtroom Mural
- Swimming Pool & Park
- Lane County Campgrounds
- Historic Spool Ranch
- Lane County Fairgrounds, Rodeo Arena & Community-Owned Carnival
- Prairie Fire Biomass Company
- Lane County Initiative for Commercialization Incubator in the Biosciences
- Highway 96 Bicycle Corridor
- Wild Horse Canyon, Bed & Breakfast
- Mineral & Fossil Hunting (geological range)
- Hunting & Fishing
Gift & Retail Shopping
244 East Long, Dighton, KS.
Fresh & silk flowers, plnts, candles, gifts, housewares, and dried flower arrangements.
136 East Long, Dighton, KS.
Prescriptions plus other medininal supplies, gifts, and candles.
Wall’s True Value
200 East Long Street, Dighton, KS.
Household items, gifts, appliances, fishing gear, and general hardware.
MJ’s Stitching & Silk Screening
131 East Long, Dighton, KS.
Merchandising items such as T-shirts, caps, mugs, jackets & lots of other!
Cameo Salon & Boutique
206 East Long Street, Dighton, KS.
Clothing, gifts, and salon services.
The Heritage Hotel (currently for sale)
244 East Long Street, Dighton, KS.
215 West Long, Dighton, KS.
Wild Horse Canyon – Bed & Breakfast
255 North Longhorn Road, Dighton, KS.
Lane County Fairgrounds.
American Legion Supper Club
100 East Plum, Dighton, KS.
B&B Sports Bar & Grill
645 West Long Street, Dighon, KS.
Dighton Bowl & Diner
530 East Long, Dighton, KS.
433 East Long Street, Dighton, KS.
Lane County, Kansas
Lane County Library
Lane County, Kansas State Historical Society
Lane County, Topographic Map Features
City of Dighton
City of Healy
City of Dighton & Lane County Economic Development, Inc.
Prairie Fire BioEnergy Cooperative
The Old Bank Gallery
Wild Horse Canyon Bed & Breakfast
Backyard Bash Concert & Car Show
Lane County Country & Bluegrass Festival